Mozzie, Mozzie, Buzz Away!
Keep the mosquitoes from feasting on you during your next outdoor barbeque or picnic, with these cute, all natural, lemon citronella candles. All you need is some real lemons, beeswax, citronella oil and some wooden wicks and you are good to go. A fun project for family and friends to get involved in.
- Fresh lemons
- Citronella oil
- Wooden candle wicks with metal clips
- Cut fresh lemons in half and scoop out all the inside flesh. Place on a tray.
- Melt the beeswax in a double boiler on the stove.
- Add approximately 6 drops of citronella oil for every one cup of beeswax.
- Put each wooden wick into a metal clip.
- Dip the metal clip into the wax and then stand in the bottom of a lemon.
- Pour the wax into the lemon holding the wooden wick in place so it remains upright.
- Leave the lemons on the tray until the wax is set.
- Light the wick of the candle when ready to use.
- Note 1: Snap off the top of the wooden wick before relighting, for the most optimum burn.
- Note 2: The candles will only last for a week or so, before the lemons start to go mouldy.
- Note 3: Idea adapted from https://purewow.com/home/how-to-make-citronella-candles